What's Wrong with the World?

1.28.2007

Cycling for God's Pleasure Together

I was never so excited to part ways with $1400 in my entire life. As most of you know, I am an avid cyclist. That doesn't mean I am any good or very fast. It just means that I feel the same about cycling as Eric Liddell did about running in Chariots of Fire. He said to his sister as she was trying to convince him of his need to join her on the mission field, "Jenny, Jenny. I know God created me for His service, but He also made me fast! When I run, I feel God’s pleasure!"

Because of this intense amount of joy that this activity gives me, I want to share it with others. I have been fortunate enough to share this passion with my father for about three years now. He has been into cycling, even racing, since I was knee high to a grasshopper. He passed on this interest to me, and now I have had the opportunity to pass it on to another. I could not think of anyone better to share this sport with than my wife. We had been discussing purchasing her a bike for a couple of months, but Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday of last week I knew it was time to make the financial commitment. My wife had made a comment on three successive days that she was not only interested but excited about cycling. This verbal indication was enough for me. On Saturday, we dropped the kids off at Grandma and Grandpa's and headed to the bike shop. After we had purchased her brand new 2007 Specialized Allez (A-Lay) Elite, she couldn't stop smiling and saying how excited she was to use her new toy.Ain't she a beauty! I can't help but think that this bike is not half as beautiful as the opportunity to share in a relationship as committed, rooted, and focused as my marriage relationship. I often have to pinch myself to make sure that I am not dreaming. I cannot explain the delight that I have to be twenty-five, married, the father of two beautiful children, and content. I would want no other life. So when I had thought that this blessed life couldn't get much better, my best friend and wife will now be joining me on rides and experiencing His pleasure.

Food for thought (for myself):

Note to self: Ecumenism is not a hot topic. Do not open a public forum for discussion when no one has indicated any interest.

Dave, you're next my friend!

3 Comments:

  • Nick, your honesty makes me smile! It's always good to hear your thoughts...even if it has to do with Ecumenism! Much success and continued joy with your bikes!Nancy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:08 PM  

  • If I'm next, I'm going to need some sort of Clydesdale scholarship to cover the cost of my bike. $1400 is 2-3 weeks pay in Sub Land.

    By Blogger Dave Scott, at 9:35 PM  

  • I don't think I told you that I used my Christmas money from Scott to get a bike and a trailer. Mine's not nearly as nice as your wife's, but a bike nonetheless. I can't wait until it warms up. I love to ride, it's just been forever! That's if you don't count all the times I climb on Alex's bike for a quick spin around the court. :)

    By Blogger Heather C., at 4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home