What's Wrong with the World?

1.12.2007

A Call to Action

You've been there. We all have. You know what it's like to walk into your place of worship, be greeted by someone you barely know, and have a seat in a pew or chair segregated from the body with your family or loved ones or by yourself. A deacon/elder stands to welcome you to their church. "We're glad you're here," he says. As you think about his statement, you look around the room. There are people yawning, looking down to avoid eye contact, and chatting with their "friends." Of course, there is the occasional good natured soul who interacts with you, but for the most part the place is as welcoming as the fans will be for our beloved Colts this weekend in Baltimore. This type of environment begs the question...What is the difference between these members of the church and the members of our community that are living happy, productive, socially-minded lives without Christ at the center of their worlds?

I began thinking about this question while watching a Barbara Walters special on Heaven (I know this programming for the more seasoned among us, especially with the host, but I gave it a shot anyway.) She was speaking to the 14th Dalai Lama on what he thought about life and the afterlife. I listened intently to what he was saying, but nothing was more telling about his outlook on life than the manner by which he spoke about it. It has been quite sometime since I have seen an individual with that much happiness exuding from them. She was constantly giving him accolades for being so loving, kind, and wise, and he kept laughing at her comments. He said something to the effect that he was nothing special. He is motivated intrinsically to live his life in the best way he sees fit. He does not seem to do it with a great sense of duty.

Shall we digress back to the church setting with the perspective that this man who does not claim his victories for Christ seems to have a much more sincere understanding of happiness than those folks who have successfully completed their duty by being "involved" at their weekly meeting time at our place of worship. Do we not have anything to be happy about? Do we not understand our cause? Is our commitment to worship so unimportant that we are willing to trivialize it by classifying it as a duty?
I feel very blessed to work in the school that I do. I am able to witness individual teachers on a daily basis model for me actions that at their very root are Christ-like actions. When I see a teacher spend extra time or set up extra individualized experiences for that student that everyone knows they don't quite see eye to eye with for the sake of that child's learning, I see Christ. When I see teachers staying after school until 6:30 pm waiting for a student's forgetful parents to pick them up after an activity after school that ended at 4:30, I see Christ. When I see hourly staff members staying and supporting a cause not because they are getting paid but because they believe in it, I see Christ. These actions done by multiple teachers everyday are not done because they want to do them, but they have no choice. I do not mean it is their duty given to them by a boss, but they are not able to think of the alternative. To them, if one student goes unnoticed, it is one student who could start falling through the cracks towards of life of disrepair. Their alternative options do not make them feel good inside. They became teachers to change the World for the better, and to choose the comfortable options in the scenarios I described would be against everything they hold true in their worlds. These actions are not their duty, they are their calling.

The purpose of my post is not to encourage everyone to become Buddhist teachers. Hopefully, you have been able to reflect on your commitments. Traditions are important, but they are not solely important. We all have duties, but they cannot be our only motivation for acting. The need for reform is ever-present. For it to be meaningful and affective, it must be brought with fury and conviction by a people called to action.

Food for thought:

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."

Albert Einstein

"9 And Nehemiah, who was the governor, and Ezra the priest and scribe, and the Levites who taught the people said to all the people, “This day is holy to the Lord your God; do not mourn or weep.” For all the people wept as they heard the words of the Law. 10 Then he said to them, “Go your way. Eat the fat and drink sweet wine and send portions to anyone who has nothing ready, for this day is holy to our Lord. And do not be grieved, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.” 11 So the Levites calmed all the people, saying, “Be quiet, for this day is holy; do not be grieved.” 12 And all the people went their way to eat and drink and to send portions and to make great rejoicing, because they had understood the words that were declared to them."

Nehemiah 8:10 (ESV)

2 Comments:

  • Yes, this is certainly something to consider. I believe there is "happiness" and then there is "joy." Happiness seems to come more easily with bouts of success, praise from others, smooth-going circumstances, ease, wealth, comfort. Joy is something much deeper that goes beyond all that I mentioned above. It is not dependent on those things. For me...joy comes from the Lord. No one else can reach deeply enough to place joy in me where it must be. As Nehemiah stated..."the joy of the Lord is your strength." So why is it that those who have the joy of the Lord, which has been placed in them, do not exhibit this joy? Perhaps it is because the Giver of the joy has been neglected or forgotten. Perhaps it is because focus has been transferred to the expectations of the world instead of what God, the Giver wants to give. I believe the happiness on one's face does not always tell the truth about what is living out on the inside. On the other hand, I believe that sincere and implanted joy on the inside of a person can show without the person even knowing it! Galations 5:22 explains that the fruit of the Spirit (in otherwords, the evidence of God's presence in a person moving out of that person) is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control." These qualities cannot be humanly concocted. Gal. 5:25 goes on to say "Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit." Keeping in step with the Spirit is where joy is known and how it is lived out in front of others.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:45 AM  

  • This is a difficult one for me to answer, at least honestly. Scott and I are both very sound in our faith, but very open-minded, and always willing to ask questions. As you know, I'm forever learning something, and attempting to read everything I can get my hands on to give me more information. I never stop with the first answer I'm given. While some would see my unceasing questions as a bad thing, it has only deepened my faith and beliefs. That doesn't always mean those beliefs are mainstream, though. This would be one of those times.

    In my/our reading and studies, I've spent a lot of time reading and learning about Buddhism. In the United States, we fail to see it for what it really is. Being a predominantly Christian nation, most people give it little credence. But I do believe, there is a lot that can be learned from the practicing Buddhists.

    When considering the Dalai Lama’s exuding sense of peace and joy, one must consider the Four Noble Truths.

    1. Life means suffering.
    2. The origin of suffering is attachment.
    3. The cessation of suffering is attainable.
    4. The path to cessation of suffering (an 8, not a 12, step process (: )

    In a nutshell, the Truths are a way of living your life that is intended to bring you to a path of enlightenment. While most Christians would deny what I’m about to say, I find that the more study/meditation/devotions I do, the more it holds true. Living by these Four Truths enriches the life and path of Christianity. It is not in opposition to it. Enlightenment can be viewed as attaining that ultimate joy that we feel when truly serving the Lord. I would venture to say, Job very much lived by the basic principles above.

    We all suffer everyday, whether it be a headache, fatigue, a broken furnace, a sick child or two, a traffic ticket, or an irate parent (all of which I’ve suffered in the last week, plus some!). Last night, something Scott said made me finally decide how to approach this post. He thanked me for being positive in light of all of our trials as of late. This is something that is very difficult for me. Negativity runs in my veins and is one of the burdens I will always bear. I had a light bulb moment. In the last two weeks, I was finally able to live by all that I’ve studied. Much as Job did, I refused to blame God or anyone else for my situations. I continued to hold my faith, even as it should have been tested. I realized that in life, there is suffering, and to worry and dwell on it would only cause even more suffering.

    This brings me to the Fourth Truth and its Eight Steps.
    Wisdom
    1. Right View
    2. Right Intention
    Ethical Conduct
    3. Right Speech
    4. Right Action
    5. Right Livelihood
    Mental Development
    6. Right Effort
    7. Right Mindfulness
    8. Right Concentration

    All of these steps can be directly linked/compared to Christ’s teachings or those found elsewhere in the Bible. If one is truly attempting to let go of suffering, and/or live a life for Christ, he is attempting to do the things above. Simply replace the words mindfulness and concentration with words more associated with Christianity such as awareness and prayer, and you’ll find there are many more similarities than differences. As you said a few weeks ago, Nick, the biggest difference is who is given the glory in the end. With Buddhism, no one is given the glory. All is done in the hopes of ending the waves of karma so that suffering will cease and (for those Buddhists believing in reincarnation) there will be no further rebirth. Buddhists believe life ceases so suffering ends. Christians believe when life ceases, suffering ends because we are in the presence of the Lord, although the end of suffering isn’t directly linked to loving acts in the Christian faith, but to the acceptance of Christ. This gets me thinking of a complicated and an even longer, drawn out thought process, so I’ll stop.

    So, I really did have a point to all of these ramblings. If these are the teachings of Buddhism, which so closely mirror the teachings of Christ, then why shouldn’t the man exude joy and peace? So many Christians get caught up in doing that which is their duty, as opposed to that which helps others and glorifies God. When we no longer worry about our own suffering and hold on to those worldly things, we find joy in what we are doing for the Lord. We’re not doing things because we feel obligated to do so; we’re doing them because we are called. I’m sure the Dalai Lama feels called as well. The average, everyday, worn out, depleted Christian could learn a lot from a man who lives his life very much in the same way I think Christ did.

    By Blogger Heather C., at 5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home